Learning Group—Parshat Shlach-Lecha
(Haftara: Yehoshua 2, 1-24)
1. [13:27, 28] “…the people who live in the land are fierce…” Our tradition looks upon the spies as the ultimate traitors. What was so bad about the spies’ message to the Israelites?
2. [13:27, 28] “…the people who live in the land are fierce…” Our tradition looks upon the spies as traitors. The spies were not betraying the Israelites. They were afraid. Is fear a sin? Is fear a betrayal? Why are people sometimes afraid of changing a bad situation for a better situation?
3. [13:30] “And Caleb stilled the people”. Rashi says that Calev said to the people, “Is this the only thing that Moshe has done to us?”. This would get their attention and then he could encourage them to go into the land. The Sforno says simply that Calev told them to be quiet so that Moshe could be heard. Each explanation has a different image of the Israelites. What is the difference between the explanations? Which seems more accurate to you?
4. [14:29-35] “In this wilderness, your bodies will fall…” The Israelites complained before the episode of the spies, but this time they were punished with 40 years in the desert. What exactly was their sin? Isn’t this too severe a punishment for their sin?
5. [Haftara: Yehoshua 2:1] Why did Yehoshua send the spies to Rachav, the prostitute, and what significance is there in the fact that Rachav, who protected the spies and helped the Israelites, was a prostitute?
[13:32] “…a land that consumes its inhabitants”.
The Hebrew word for “its inhabitants” in this verse—”yoshvehah”–literally means “its settlers”.
The Holy Land does not tolerate those who settle down, who are complacent and content with their achievements. One should always be aspiring to improve—to get closer to God, to people and to one’s real self.
–R. Yitzchak of Vorka (1779-1848), Poland.
This study page is dedicated to the memory of Sarah Bella bat Yitzchak Kummer, Chaim Yosef Yechiel ben Eliyahu Kummer and Eliyahu and Margaret Kummer
Kef International Shipping, Realty, and Relocations Services since 1979