Learning Group—Parshat Balak (Numbers: 22:2-25:9) (Haftara: Micah 5:6-6:8)
Learning Group—Parshat Balak
(Haftara: Micah 5:6-6:8)
1. [23:9] “…a people that will dwell alone and will not be counted among the nations.” This is presented as a blessing. How is this a blessing?
2. [23:19 ] “God is not a man, that He should lie; or a person who changes His mind…” However, even in this parsha, God changes His mind [22:12-20]. Our prophets tell us that God is beyond human qualities—is total positivity. However, God reveals Himself to us with human-like qualities. When we pray, should we think about God beyond human qualities, or should we think about God with human-like qualities?
3. [Haftara: Micha 5:6] “And the remnant of Ya’akov will be in the midst of many nations like dew from God, like showers on the grass…” This pasuk is understood by some commentators as negative in relation to the situation of the Jews, and by other commentators as positive in relation to the situation of the Jews. How can this pasuk be understood in a negative way and how can it be understood in a positive way?
4. [Haftara: Micah 6:8] “…what does God ask of you: only to do justice, to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God”. Are people who love kindness and walk humbly capable of doing justice. It would seem that one must be aggressive and obstinate to achieve justice in society. Is it realistic for the prophet to ask that a person have all three of these qualities?
5. [Haftara: Micah 6:8] “…what does God ask of you: only to do justice, to love chesed, and to walk humbly with your God”. If these are the main things that God asks of us, what is the purpose of the other commandments of the Torah like eating kosher, keeping Shabbat, and so on.
[24:17] “…a star will step out of Jacob…”
This pasuk is telling us that every Jew has a spark of the Messiah in his soul.
–The Baal Shem Tov, Rabbi Israel ben Eliezer, (1700-1760).
This study page is dedicated to the memory of Sarah Bella bat Yitzchak Kummer, Chaim Yosef Yechiel ben Eliyahu Kummer and Eliyahu and Margaret Kummer
Kef International Shipping, Realty, and Relocations Services since 1979