(Haftara: Hoshea 11:7-12:13)
- 1. [32:7] “And Ya’akov was very frightened and terrified…” Ya’akov initiated this meeting with Esav. He didn’t have to do it. Why is he willing to suffer this much fear in order to meet his brother?
- [32:24] The midrash says that the man that Ya’akov was wrestling with was the angel of Esav. There are commentators who say that the wrestling was going on in Ya’akov’s mind. With what or with whom was Ya’akov wrestling in his mind?
- [33:10] “I saw your face like seeing the face of God, and you liked me.” What does Ya’akov mean when he says that seeing Esav’s face is like seeing the face of God?
- [33:17] “…and he built a house, and for his cattle, he made booths. Therefore he named the place “Booths”. Why did Ya’akov name the place after the home for his cattle?
- [35:10] Ya’akov’s name is changed from Ya’akov –manipulator– to Yisrael –he who wrestled with God (or with angels). A change of name should mean a change of behaviour. Do we see any changes of behaviour in Ya’akov?
[33:9] And Esav said, “I have a lot”.
Ya’akov said, “I have everything”. The more Esav has, the more he wants. Ya’akov, however is happy with whatever he has—as the mishna says, “Who is rich, he who is happy with whatever he has.
This study page is dedicated to the memory of Gad Eliahu ben David and Kochava—Eli Zucker
And this study page is dedicated to the memory of Sarah Bella bat Yitzchak Kummer, Chaim Yosef Yechiel ben Eliyahu Kummer and Eliyahu and Margaret Kummer